Summary of Project:
Heading into our fourth season, the Branlyn Neighbourhood Association along with its partners: Union Gas, Community Resource Services, Tim Horton’s Leadership Camp, SC Johnson, and Bonnie Veggies (Fernlea Plants), is continuing its garden that has donated approximately 20,000 lbs to our Local Food Bank over the past 3 years.
The next phase of this project is to move out into the community to educate and foster awareness and participation for a community that embraces the simplicity of gardens which adds many benefits such as: healthy eating, participation with locally produced and distributed produce, aiding the local issue of poverty, and much more. In order to achieve this next phase, there are different components that have been added to the Equal Ground Project.
- Maintain 9,300 lbs or more of donated produce to our food bank for the 2014 season.
- Maintain and build new partnerships for volunteering.
- Provide educational opportunities to local groups – youth and adult – regarding gardening and the benefit of healthy eating.
- Create a sustainability plan for the next 5 – 10 years.
- Expand the Equal Ground Garden project to other areas of the City including various groups and organizations.
- Organize and facilitate a logo and slogan contest for branding purposes.
- Create “Bring a Parent to Volunteer Day” (kid’s version of Bring a Student to Work Day)
How will the success of the project be measured and when?
- Measured in volunteer hours (continuously recorded) VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!!
- Total weight of donation (final tally recorded in November)
- Number of gardens added to the network
- Number of gardens added to the network and total weight of yield recorded (where possible)
- Press and social media response
Debriefing meeting regarding plant problems, increasing yield, maximizing volunteers, etc. This takes place in January of the following year.